These vulnerable groups include pensioners, people living with disabilities, child-headed homes, persons in need of shelter, persons in need of major medical operations and victims of emergencies and disasters; amongst others. Faced with inadequate resources at our disposal, Council has not been able to make meaningful impact in assisting.
CoW recognizes the role it has to play in contributing to poverty eradication and social progression of our people, which ideals are embedded in our national program on prosperity, the Harambee Prosperity Plan (HPP). In this regard, CoW decided to establish a Mayoral Relief Fund in line with our strategic objective of duty of care and subject to the set policy guidelines. The Fund is established to support vulnerable community members and individuals who are in extreme needs.
The Strategic Objective “Duty of Care” commits CoW to corporate social responsibility and social wellbeing of the Windhoek citizenry. Therefore, CoW recognises the role it has to play in contributing to poverty eradication and social progression of our people.
Mayoral Relief Fund Objectives
1. To provide assistance to vulnerable community members.
2. To offer donations and support to victims of emergencies and disastrous.
3. To provide financial assistance towards tertiary education of vulnerable learners.
4. To contribute to causes that will promote the image of the City of Windhoek.
5. To contribute to building community capability.
6. To provide assistance for food security initiatives.
Mayoral Fundraising Focus
The fundraising gala dinner will include pledges and contributions sought prior and during the launch itself
Page 2 of 3
1. Tables: Tables sitting 10 guests are sold at N$15,000.00 for the Gala Dinner; and your corporate contribution will indeed make a positive impact on the improvement of the quality of life of those who are less fortunate.
2. Pledges: We have a target to raise N$ 1.6 million with this programme, which will be used towards the alleviation of identified social challenges in our community.
Governance Structure of the Fund
The Mayoral Relief Fund will depend on financial contributions by the community members of the City Windhoek and corporate partners.
In the interest of good governance, the CoW has put the governing structure in place by appointing the Fund’s Governing Committee prior to the launch of the fund. In that regards, a six (6) members committee will comprise of the following:
- Municipal Council of the City of Windhoek;
- Private Sector Leader – Corporate
- Public Sector – Corporate Social Investment
- Public Sector Leader – International (Non-Governmental Organisation)
- Community / Spiritual Leader
- Youth Organisation Representatives; and
- Administrator of Fund – Office of the Chief Executive Officer (Office of the Mayor)
It is our intention to introduce members of this Committee during the Gala Dinner.
As the first of its kind, a befitting inaugural launch for the Mayoral fund will be held on Thursday, 05th October 2017 at the City of Windhoek, your formal invite will reach you in the course of this week. The inaugural launch will coincide with a fundraising gala dinner to which the Windhoek community, public and corporate alike will be invited.
In order to effect other aspects key to the Municipality, the launch will be preceded by:
the official opening of the New Council Building by HE. Dr. Hage Geingob, President of the Republic of Namibia
a Corporate Social Investment (CSI) training for Mayors
Being our strategic partners in information dissemination, we will appreciated it very much if you keep the public informed on this important event.